Friday, November 22, 2013

New Hard Reset Cover


I liked the design of this cover already. It's my favorite one in the series. It's very Russian Constructivist. I didn't change a whole lot about it. All of the previous covers were made in Photoshop. I'm redoing them in Illustrator with nice clean vectors. The main changes in this cover are the city background. I redesigned a lot of the buildings. The other difference is the title font type. I liked the font that I used before. I used it on the first two original book covers and was planning on using it through the whole series but then I somehow lost it between book two and three. Since I couldn't use it anymore, I started using different font types for each book to go with the story or theme, arguing that I didn't need a single font to maintain a cohesive look to the series because the color scheme is powerful enough to do that on it's own. Why not just go overboard on expressing the personality of the individual books? So when I remade the first two covers, I switched their fonts because that uniformity idea had already been scrapped a long time ago and I might as well make them all similar in being dissimilar. 

Subtle things that no one will notice are the red hue. On the original, the color was pure red but this one is a little darker. After accidentally making the Helloween Thirteen cover in the wrong hue, I decided I liked it. Now as I redo the other covers, I'm also recoloring them with the new red.

I made Trish's jacket a little bigger and bulkier because I thought that it appeared to fit her too well. In the book, she is thirteen and wearing her dad's army jacket which has sleeves that obscure her hands when not rolled up. I spent time altering a detail on a picture that will be viewed for two seconds that isn't even different enough or large enough that it's noticeable without having it pointed out to you. And then you don't care anyway. Yes, I am THAT anal retentive about details in and on my books.

No comments:

Post a Comment